We love it when we find a great new idea for date nights. Having a regular date night is such an important part of a romantic marriage and you can’t have a happy marriage without a regular, healthy dose of romance.
We found the idea for the Date Night Jar accidentally, from blogger Julie Kobe. She found the idea on Pinterest but hasn’t been able to identify the creator. Apparently, the idea has taken off like wildfire, because I found it on plenty of other blogs, but no one seems to know who originated the Date Night Jar. That’s too bad, because he or she really deserves a high five.
Julie has some great pics of her Date Night Jar in her blog post, but we also found lots of others all over the internet.
The purpose of the Date Night Jar is to provide you with plenty of new ideas for date night (or day) and take the stress of deciding what to do out of the picture entirely. It keeps things fresh and also prevents you from doing the same old thing again and again. The idea is to write date night ideas on individual popsicle sticks and either draw one together or take turns. There’s just one rule: whatever stick you draw, you have to do.
Here are the general instructions:
1. Get an inexpensive package of popsicle sticks from the dollar store or craft store.
2. Use a marker to write one date idea on each stick. Do this together, so that you each have input.
3. Place the sticks in a large, clear jar.
Now here are some tips from Julie and from around the web:
1. Color code your sticks, either by buying colored sticks or coloring them yourselves with a highlighter. You can choose colors for budget (say, $20 and under or even free), time (a few hours, one hour, etc.) or even at home/out on the town. Color code for any factor that goes into your date nights. This can make it a bit more certain that you’re able to do the date you draw when you draw it.
2. Keep a marker and some blank Popsicle sticks near the jar so that you can add ideas you get from a magazine, website or ad.
3. Be sure to add a few things you’ve never done.
We think this is a fabulous way to inject some fun into planning your date nights! Please try it and let us know how it goes!